Author Topic: Yabuse vs. SSF wich is best ?  (Read 65692 times)

Crossface

• View Profile
Yabuse vs. SSF wich is best ?
« on: June 27, 2007, 06:59:52 PM »
Hello All...
First of All many many Thanks to whomsoever is involved with creating Yabuse.   (I have been using GiriGiri for all my Saturn Emulation needs, but have recently disvovered Yabuse)  I can't Run SSF because of the SSE2 and 3 requirements, so for any of you running SSF I would like to hear wich emu runs best for you.

Please Respond with a brief reply of wich Emu does a better job for you and the game you like best.

CyberWarriorX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyberwarriorx.com
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
I honestly don't like where this is going to go. I'm leaving it for now, but if I see anything that remotely resembles flame bait I'm locking this thread.

Crossface

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 02:13:42 AM »
CyberWarriorX
   Hey CW ?   I think this would have been a great thread.  I don't think anyone who takes the time to Run "Saturn" emulators are immature enough to start "flame" on here. I think your comments may have killed many good responses.  Please Delete your "negative" post.  Thanks.

CyberWarriorX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 06:59:55 AM »
I've been around more than long enough to see it does indeed happen. Besides, this isn't the place for such a question anyways. Obviously there's going to be some bias one way or other.

Guillaume

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ./confiture && cake
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 10:24:31 AM »
Well... there can't be a bias as yabause is far better than ssf :))

CyberWarriorX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 04:22:07 PM »
That's true :)

Crossface

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 09:53:37 PM »
Come on All you SSF users, lets hear what you think of Yabause vs. SSF.  Last time I could use SSF it was like 2 years ago, and it was horrendously slow.  I would just like to know if the speed of SSF is on par with Yabause.  Lets hear it !!! Thanks.

Crossface

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:05:43 PM »
P.S.  Could one of you moderators fix the "type-o"  in the topic-heading please ?  I mis-spelled Yabause.   Thanks... i hate type-o's

NecroRomancist

• Scoobies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »
There is no question :) Yabause runs "everywhere" and is great, SSF runs on windows and cpu's with sse2 and is great.
2-1 Yabause wins :)

Guillaume

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ./confiture && cake
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 07:35:49 AM »
the "yabuse" mispelling is quite popular, it's the second keyword most used to reach the yabause site :) (the first keyword being "yabause")

2-1 Yabause wins :)

Thanks NecroRomancist :)
btw, what's up with dcemu? are you still working on it? it would be nice to have a dreamcast emu running on linux.

NecroRomancist

• Scoobies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 10:04:47 PM »
Hi.
University was crazy this past year, i had to focus just on it :) and the time i had for dcemu was not that much. But it is far from being dead :)

Crossface

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 10:05:27 PM »
Well, it's been 4 whole weeks since I posted this this fascinating Topic.  The answer is quite clear... and that is... nobody gives a hoot :(    LOL.  So, I've searched the net and I have come to the cold hard conclusion that SSF is more advanced than Yabause.  (meaning it runs more games with less glitches at Very good speeds)  However,  Yabause does have lower hardware requirements and will run at Very Good Speeds on non SSE2 Cpus.  Sooo.... bottom line,  if your like me and can't run SSF ....  Save your money and upgrade your CPU....  but really ??  is it worth it ?   I don't think SSF is worth that,  so naahh.... I'll stick with Yabause, save some cash and play Saturn Games ever so perfectly with my REAL Saturn using the "swap" trick to play my complete collection of saturn games downloaded straight from that one site :-D   (Wich is still up and running and going strong)   :-D

Cobra

• View Profile
    • http://www.cobrablade.com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 08:14:59 AM »
Hello all, this is my 1st post but a good enough topic for my debut on the Yabause forum.

Well I spent a lot of time going threw all the Saturn emulators a while back now. The saddest thing is I wasn't even trying to play any of my games, I just wanted to even get a fully functional bios going. That's how bad the emulation of the Saturn was at the time.

Yabause was the 1st emulator that could boot into the bios with sound. I was thrilled, although at this time there were no cubes. Also back then SSF was around the same stage with either really being any good for actually playing Saturn games.

Well a lot of time has passed now and SSF has seen major advancements. Yabause has also come a long way, but not as far. So dose that make SFF better? Neither is perfect as they are still very early on, but here is my rundown.

SSF
* Much better compatibility
* Sprite layer hiding
* Screen snapshots

Yabause
* Re-rendered 3D making things that are 3D look much nicer and smother at a higher resolution
* Multi-platform Mac/PC/Linux/etc.
* English is the native language so support and feature requests are possible

What this basically means is, the compatibly that SFF boast makes it more ideal for playing games on for the time being until Yabause is able to gain more ground, however you are still better of just playing your games on the Saturn itself. However, with Yabause rendering at a higher resolution in time games will look much nicer then on the actual Saturn and will be better played on your computer. Just like the 16bit systems that benefit from advanced visuals and filters.

At the end of the day my vote also goes to Yabause as it's the only emulator of the two that follows you from OS to OS once you realise the inferiority of Windows, and that's why Yabause gets my donations while SFF misses out.

Skeetz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:13 PM »
My original problem with SSF is that it required an SSE2 compatible processor to run. I didn't have one in my old comp, so I couldn't run it originally, and on top of it, Cassini refused to get past the start up screen, and made my PC reboot. (That was probably on my end though.) After I got a new PC, I began running SSF, and it's been great. I have yet to try Yaubause, but I registered here because it has a DC port, from what I understand, as well as basic networking code, so I just want to tag along and see where it goes.

From what I understand, however, Cassini is the fastest Sega Saturn emulator out there.

Cobra

• View Profile
    • http://www.cobrablade.com
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »
Something of note is that SSF is advancing very rapidly, so now has more advance rendering and filtering than when I last checked it.
Just thought I'd give it credit where it is due. Of a big disappointment for ripping purposes of graphics however is that while it allows you to disable layers, all 2D spite layers are grouped as one so you can't separate them. Also the emulator can't be paused like Yabause, giving Yabause the advantage for graphic capturing there.

As for Cassini, well aside from being only available on Windows, there seems to be a whole moral issue there. A lot of people seem to ignore it since it started out as an illegal hack of GiriGiri. So the controversy surrounding it's origins has seen it's popularity suffer somewhat.

Also another plus for Yabause though that can be added to my list of advantages is BIOSless emulation. Making fully legal emulation of your actual Saturn games a breeze since even if you don't have the tools to dump your BIOS you no longer have to illegally download one.