Author Topic: Help for mac  (Read 55971 times)

prepneck0285

• View Profile
Help for mac
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:02:41 AM »
i am using a macbook pro, os x, and i have the new yabause release...how do i get nights to work...i dont have a clue how to even get started

Cobra

• View Profile
    • http://www.cobrablade.com
Help for mac
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 04:47:53 AM »
Okay, here are the simply steps to check when starting out.
Hope it'll help you on your way.

1.) You are using the latest version of Yabause Done

2.) If using an original game, have Yabause set to run CD Roms, not ISOs

3.) If using a backup such as a ISO, be sure you have set Yabause to use ISOs instead of the CD drive. Also it is best that it is not a BIN. I personally have never gotten one to work. But the second I converted them to ISO, Bingo!

4.) If mounting CD images, be sure to set Yabause to CD mode since virtual drives are just that. An imaginary CD drive with imaginary CD inside it.

5.) Check the compatibility list to see if your game is already mentioned. If it is, it'll tell you if it works, and if it requires a BIOs file to run the game. If BIOs is not mentioned you do not need one.

I would recommend using your actual games, as it's the only sure way, unless you have other means of testing your CD images. Loading a game up as an audio CD if it has an inaccurate number of tracks actually means Yabause hasn't found your game at all.

prepneck0285

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 10:32:45 AM »
i did exactly what your instructions say, my disc is to scratched so i have a iso file, but the program closes and a window saying it closed unexpectedly pops up

Cobra

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 01:59:35 AM »
That's not good at all. If the ISO is the issue, then not much can be done.
Since you are unable to use the best method, your CD. Then all I can suggest is taking a snap of each config, and posting them on here. I'm sure someone will notice anything wrong if it is a settings issue.

kalikkalik

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 03:19:21 AM »
have the same setup, same problem...ISO's don't work, nothing does...

Following settings (from the blank defaults in prefs)
CD-ROM - ISO or CUE file (as well as the path to the ISO)

Ken

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 05:38:37 AM »
Worked for me (sort of) if I used the Bios, CD Rom Device, picked the region manually, used Software Video Interface (instead of OpenGL), and used SDL Sound Interface. Then it would actually show the Sega Saturn start up screen and play the opening sound, before it showed the interface to play a music cd. Which is the problem I ran into.

I have 10.5, dual 1.8 G5.

Cobra

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »
One thing I did forget to mention, and I'll make a note too add it next time, is if you do select to run a CD, enter the following into the field
/dev/disk1
if this doesn't work try
/dev/disk2 and so on until you get the working number

CyberWarriorX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyberwarriorx.com
Help for mac
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 06:16:23 AM »
Heh, Nights won't work properly unless you've made an bin/cue image or run it from the original disc, etc. It has to do with its second data track.

Ken

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »
Cobra, thanks but the /dev/disks didn't work. Not 0, 1, 2... I do have the original. How do I make a bin/cue of it on the Mac? Thanks.

Guillaume

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ./confiture && cake
Help for mac
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 07:44:40 AM »
If you have original game, don't dump it in bin/cue, use your original game! :D

Cobra

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 12:05:20 AM »
Sorry about that Ken, the last time I used Yabause this is how it was done. I downloaded the latest build to try and help you out but same here, no luck.

/dev/disk*
or the older
/dev/rdisk*
don't seem to amount to anything.

antime

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 05:27:23 AM »
The procedure described by Cobra is the one that works. If the Saturn CD player screen shows one track with a length of about 728 minutes, the disc can't be found which means you're probably using the wrong device. Another quick way of verifying this is to let the CD spin down before running the emulator. If it doesn't spin up again when you run Yabause, you're using the wrong device.

Ken

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »
antime, we know we're using the wrong device. The problem is how to specify the correct device...

antime

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
With the CD inserted type "mount" in a terminal window, and you'll get a list of all mounts. The game CD will look something like this:

/dev/disk2s0 on /Volumes/MANXTT_SUPER_BIKE (cd9660, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners)

From this you can see that in this case the data track is "slice" 0 (partition in BSD Unix terminology) on the device /dev/disk2. Copy the device name to Yabause's preference dialog and you should be good to go. If it still doesn't work, open Console (in Applications/Utilities) and see if there's any messages there.

Ken

• View Profile
Help for mac
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 01:00:42 AM »
Thanks. That was the key. Now if I could just get more than 5 fps or have the sound not skip constantly, I'd be happy... :-P