Author Topic: A few Linux newbie questions =D  (Read 4300 times)

AgentHoze

• View Profile
A few Linux newbie questions =D
« on: November 06, 2005, 10:14:43 AM »
I'm relatively new to Linux ^_^ so I have a few questions (by the way, I'm using SuSE 9.3 OSS):
1.) After going into the directory and compiling (did "./configure" "make" "make check" then "make install"), how do I run Yabause? The compiling seemed to go fine, didn't have any problems when I put in "make check", yet I can't seem to figure out how to run the program - I tried just entering "yabause" into the shell - that didn't work =\
2.) Once I get it working, will I have to specify the BIOS file with -b every time I run it, or will it remember (or is there a directory I can put it in w/some certain filename that it'll auto-detect?)
3.) If I'm using a CD image, does it have to be an ISO file, or does Yabause have support for BIN & CUE also?

Thanks ^_^ I've done a lot with emulators in the past, but this is my first attempt at working with them in Linux

Guillaume

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ./confiture && cake
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 10:29:08 AM »
1) after ".configure" and "make", there should be a binary file "yabause" in the "src" directory, so change your active directory to "src" and type "./yabause". After "make install", yabause is installed in your system and usually goes in "/usr/local/bin" so you can use "/usr/local/bin/yabause" or add "/usr/local/bin" to your PATH variable.

2) as you're using the CLI, the only way to not specify the bios everytime is to have a file named "jap.rom" in your active directory when you launch yabause. You could try the gtk interface by using "./configure --with-gtk" instead of "./configure" (if you want to do so, you'd better download the last sources from the CVS)

3) There's no support for bin/cue yet.

Good luck :)

AgentHoze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 10:33:06 AM »
Thanks a bunch =D I'll mess with it and get it working - by the way, you wouldn't happen to know of a Linux app that can convert between various CD image file types? Mostly because all of my game backups are in BIN and CUE format (including Albert Odyssey and Clockwork Knight, which I was planning to try playing in Yabause). If not, I suppose I could hop back on WinXP (*shudders*) and use one of the kajillions of apps for that purpose.

P.S. I doubt it, but you wouldn't happen to have any level of gamepad/joystick/whatever support? Not that my gamepads even have Linux drivers that I know of, nevertheless I'm curious.

Also, with the GTK UI, I tried compiling using --with-gtk, but I got a bunch of errors - most of them involving GNOME directories. I use KDE, so I wasn't sure if it was an option =D

Guillaume

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ./confiture && cake
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 10:37:02 AM »
mmm, no... I don't know about a linux app to do that... but I've never need to do that kind of things. And there's no gamepad/joystick/whatever support, I guess we should add that someday...

AgentHoze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 10:50:45 AM »
Alright, thx again - managed to find a program to mount CD images as virtual drives so that'll make life simpler =D

CyberWarriorX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyberwarriorx.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 01:53:30 PM »
Sure there's cue/bin support. Although I guess most people don't realize it :)

AgentHoze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 06:16:15 PM »
There's cue/bin support in the linux version?? =D I know there is in the Windows version... but Linux too?

CyberWarriorX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyberwarriorx.com
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 10:06:04 AM »
Yeah, it's available in all ports. Although how you use it depends on the port. For the linux version, you just use the same command-line option as with iso's, just specify the cue filename instead.

Guillaume

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ./confiture && cake
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »
Ho... that's right... there's bin/cue support :D Don't know how I can have forgot about that... sorry

AgentHoze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 01:47:10 PM »
Ho... that's right... there's bin/cue support :D Don't know how I can have forgot about that... sorry

x_x
:-D You coulda saved me some effort there =P

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 05:39:26 AM »
Sure, have a bin/cue to iso converter, and the name is bchunk.
Someone know how to do the inverse in UNIX ? (Something, may be ISO to CUE/BIN)